the Lodge of Connaught & Truth No. 521
WAR AND PEACE.
Crimean War South African War Great War
1914-1918 World War
1939-1945 Preservation of Records Decomposition of
Warrant of Confirmation.
THROUGHOUT 100 ye ars of existence, the Lodge has had a
special events occasioned by the fact that the Country
has been at War;
there have been also the consequential Peace Rejoicings
Thanksgivings after the cessation of hostilities.
The first of these was in 1856, to which reference has
made in Chapter V. On the 29th May in that year the
Members of the three
Lodges in the Town joined in a public procession, on the
occasion of the
celebration of peace after the Crimean War, Dispensation
having been granted
for the Brethren of those Lodges, and all other Brethren
who may join them,
to appear in Masonic Clothing and Costume and to walk in
We imagine how the Brethren would heartily endorse the
with which the Deputy Provincial Grand Master concluded
"May Goodwill abound, peace reign triumphant and
and that is a wish and a praye r at the time of writing
this History, at the
close of the diastrous and terrible World War of
At the 1856 Celebration the mustering and marshalling of
Procession took place in Fitzwilliam Street, and at the
termination of the
Procession the Brethren adjourned to the Lodge of Harmony
South Parade to "a cold collation."
This Celebration was carried out at a total cost of £12
12s., if it is
correctly assumed that the cost was borne as to one-third
by each Lodge.
The Minutes contain little or no information touching on
African War, 1899-1902, as affecting the Lodge; but there
is a reference
in 1900 to subscriptions in response to an Appeal by
Provincial Grand Lodge
for The South African War Masonic Relief Fund.
And in 1908 the Brethren of the Lodge, along with
other Lodges in the Town, attended a Special Service at
the Parish Church on
26th April, 1908, for the benefit of The Veterans'
Association, For this
function the Brethren assembled at South Parade for the
Procession to the
Church. Regalia was not worn.
Then came the First World War of 1914-1918. During this
there are frequent references in the Minutes of splendid
done by the Brethren of the Lodge in supporting Funds for
the Sick and
Wounded Soldiers at the Hospitals in the Town, and
entertaining them at the
Lodge Premises, e.g., a Balance Sheet presented 3rd
March, 1916, showed the
cost of dinners and entertainments provided for 51
wounded soldiers on 12th
January, 1916, and 80 on 28th January, 1916; and there
were many similar
functions in the following months of 1916; and during the
During this War of 1914-1918 the Brethren of the Lodge
among other things, to a Fund for the relief of Belgian
Refugees: in fact, they
had a box which they handed round at the Instruction
Classes. In December,
1914, there was a resolution at the Instruction Class
that the lettering on the box he
altered from "Belgian Relief Fund" to "War
Relief Fund." That box has been
in continuous use since 1914-1918, and still bears the
faded; in fact, one of the Brethren told the Author that,
when he was a
Junior Brother, he put his pennies in as the box came
round, and thought the
letters were BAR Relief Fund, and wondered whatever it
could mean !
Actually, it is much different from that, as the proceeds
of each week's
collection are put to the Lodge's own Charitable Fund,
for the relief of their own
Brethren, when deserving cases arise.
In 1918 an Emergency Lodge was held in order to Initiate
during his limited number of days' leave before returning
to "the firing line."
Another such Emergency Lodge was held on 8th November,
three days before the Armisticeto ballot for and
Initiate an Officer candidate
then home on leave and due to return to France on 23rd
T h e n c a m e t h e w e l c o m e n e w s o f t h e A r
m i s t i c e , a n d there is
an appropriate Minute of "humble and deep
thankfulness to the Great
Architect of the Universe for the Great Victory which He
vouchsafed to us," followed later by a Resolution on
4th July, 1919,
when the Worshipful Master expressed the gratitude of the
Lodge for the
signing of the Treaty of Peace between this Nation and
In the year 1918 an application to Provincial Grand Lodge
to Initiate a
minor was refused, and the correspondence disclosed the
fact that there had
only been two instances of such a Dispensation in the
past 30 years.
At the end of hostilities in 1918, after the Armistice on
1918, the Lodge held a Special Social of Celebration on
the 23rd November,
1918, There is a copy of the Menu in the Lodge Guard
Book, the details of
which will not be without interest :
British Bulwarks Turkish Delight
Spuds a la Empire
Americaine Tartelette Colonial Cheese
Allied Salad Italian Cream
Armistice a la Francais.
During the Second World War of 1939-1915, when Lodges in
parts of the Country were severely damaged and even
destroyed by enemy
aircraft raids, the Lodges in Huddersfield were fortunate
to have no
damage at all. One effect or disturbance, however, was
by the Military Authorities of The Masonic Premises at
Kirkburton of The
Beaumont Lodge, No. 2035, and for a period from
September, 1940, to the
time of writing this History, The Beaumont Lodge, by
The Lodge of Truth Trustees, have held their Meetings at
Hall, Fitzwilliam Street.
Another effect of this War was an appeal from Grand Lodge
Provincial Grand Lodge, an appeal which was generousl y
to by Brethren throughout the country, to surrender their
Jewels for melting
down for the national effort.
As mentioned above, Lodges in Huddersfield were
from bomb damage, but precautions were advised for the
protect ion of
Warrants of Consti tution and Mas oni c Records. In the
case of The
Lodge of Truth the method adopted was to place The
Constitution, The Declaration Books, The Lodge Minute
Books and The
Instruction Class Minute Books into two lined wooden
cases, which in turn
were put into a brick and concrete structure erected
under the cellar
steps, to which the Author of this history has made
frequent visits when
literally "delving into the archives."
It was on one of these visits, a special one made by W.
Norman Sykes of The Lodge of Truth for the purpose of
Warrant of the Lodge, to have it photographed for one of
illustrations to this book, that a discovery was made
which was not only
disappointing, but almost heartbreaking. For, on
re-opening the special
sealed container which had been made to hold the Warrant,
it was found
that during its six years of protected and precautionary
kind of internal chemical action had taken place, and the
Warrant (but for
the Seal) and all its wrappings were unrecognisable and
semblance of print or ink having vanished, and the whole
limp, rotted and decomposed: even the Seal, which it is
hoped can be
preserved, was apt to fall away on being handled. The
discovery was made
on Thursday, the 6th September, 1945, shortly before the
The Lodge of Harmony, No. 275, were meeting for their
Meeting, on which occas ion the Assistant Provincial
Grand Master, W.
Bro. H. Clifford Smith, J.P., P.G.D., was present; at the
interval between the
Ceremony and supper the Worshipful Mager of The Lodge of
521, along with W. Bro. N. Sykes (No. 321), and W. Bro.
H. L. Simpson (No.
275), took the Assistant Provincial Grand Master to the
cellar scene of
this disastrous discovery. It seemed tragic that the
precautionary measures should have such a sequel, and
that it should have
happened on the very eve of the Centenary Festival of the
Lodge. The only
course open to the Lodge was to apply for a Warrant of
The necessary procedure to obtain this was duly followed,
being signed at the Regular Lodge on 5th October, 1945;
the Warrant of
Confirmation was issued, dated 7th November, 1945. The
following is a
printed transcription of its text : -
COPY OF THE WARRANT OF CONFIRMATION.
Harewood, G. M.
T O A L L A N D E V E R Y O U R R I G H T W O R S H I P F
W O R S H I P F U L A N D L O V I N G B R E T H R E N
HENRY GEORGE CHARLES
EARL OF HAREWOOD
KNIGHT OF THE MOST NOBLE ORDER OF THE GARTER
&c. &c. &c. &c.
O F T H E M O S T A N C I E N T A N D H O N O U R A B L E
FRATERNITY OF FREE AND ACCEPTED MASONS OF ENGLAND
WHEREAS it appears by the Records of the Grand Lodge that
a Warrant of
Constitution bearing date 3rd December, 1845, was granted
to certain Brethren therein
named authorising them to open and hold a Lodge of Free
and Accepted Masons at the
White Hart Inn, Huddersfield, in the County of York and
which was then registered in
the Books of the Grand Lodge as No. 763 AND WHEREAS by
the general alterations in
the numbers in the year 1863 it became and is now
registered in the Books of Grand
Lodge as No. 521 under the Title or Denomination of
No. 521 THE LODGE OF TRUTH
AND WHEREAS the Brethren composing the said Lodge have by
represented to us that their Warrant has been destroyed
by chemical action and they have
prayed us to grant them a Warrant of Confirmation in lieu
thereof - NOW
KNOW YE that WE being satisfied of the reasonableness of
the said request and from
the confidence reposed in the Brethren do hereby grant
this Our WARRANT OF
CONFIRMATION unto our right Trusty and Well Beloved
Gledhill, William Austin Bates, Arthur Thornton Green,
Thomas Boardman Bolton, Lewis
Schofield, James Frederick Collard Cole, Norman Sykes,
and Others composing the said
Lodge authorising and empowering them and their
Successors to continue to assemble
and hold a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons at
Freemasons' Hall, Fitzwilliam Street,
Huddersfield in the County of York, on the first Friday
in January, February, March, April,
May, June, July, August, September, October, November,
and December and to make pass
and raise Free Masons according to the Ancient Custom of
the Craft in all Ages and
Nations throughout the known World And further at their
said Petition and of the great
trust and confidence reposed in everyone of the above
named Brethren WE DO
APPOINT the said Geoffrey Gledhill to be the MASTER the
said William Austin
Bates to be the SENIOR WARDEN and the said Arthur
Thornton Green to be
the JUNIOR WARDEN for opening and holding the said Lodge
and until such time as
another Master shall be regularly elected and installed
strictly charging that every
Member who shall be elected to preside over the said
Lodge and who must have
previously duly served as Warden in a Warranted Lodge
shall be installed in Ancient
Form and according to the Laws of the Grand Lodge that he
may thereby be fully
invested with the dignities and powers of his 0ffice AND
WE DO REQUIRE you the said
Geoffrey Gledhill to take special care that all and every
the said Brethren are or have
been regularly made Masons and that you and they and all
other the Members of the
said Lodge do observe perform and keep the Laws Rules and
Orders contained in the
BOOK OF CONSTITUTIONS and all others which may from time
to time be made by our
Grand Lodge or transmitted by us or our Successors Grand
Masters or by our
Deputy Grand Master for the time being AND WE DO ENJOIN
you to make such By
Laws for the government of your Lodge as shall to the
majority of the Members appear
proper and necessary the same not being contrary to or
inconsistent with the General Laws
and Regulations of the Craft a copy whereof you are to
transmit to us AND WE DO
REQUIRE you to cause all such By Laws and Regulations and
also an Account of the
proceedings in your Lodge to be entered in a Book to be
kept for that purpose AND you are in
nowise to omit to send to us or our Successors Grand
Masters or to Our DEPUTY
GRAND MASTER for the time being at least once in every
year a List of the Members
of your Lodge and the names and descriptions of all
Masons initiated therein and Brethren
who shall have joined the same with the fees and moneys
payable thereon IT
BEING OUR WILL and intention that this Our WARRANT OF
shall continue in force so long only as you shall conform
to the Laws and
Regulations of Our Grand Lodge
GIVEN under OUR HAND and the SEAL of the GRAND LODGE at
LONDON this 7th day of November. A.L. 5945. A.D. 1945.
B Y C O M M A N D O F T H E M O S T W O R S H I P F U L G
R A N D M A S T E R
Sydney A. White, G.S. William H. Darrell, A. G. M. For
Freemasons will not easily forget that the War delivered
a sad blow to
this country, to the Royal Family, to Grand Lodge and to
whenon the 25th August, 1942our beloved Grand
Worshipful Bro. Air Commodore H.R.H. The Duke of Kent,
life for his country whilst on active service.
Throughout the length and breadth of the land there were
relief and thankfulness when the hostilities in Europe
ceased. The Author had
the pleasure of being present at the Lodge at their first
Meeting (1st June,
1945), after VE-day (Victory in Europe Day-8th May,
1945), and heard
the Worshipful Master make appropriate reference to the
Europe; he said that we should lift up our hearts in
thanksgiving to the Great
Architect of the Universe for his goodness. He recalled
the black days of 1940,
the miracle of Dunkirk and the Victory of the Royal Air
Force in the crisis of the
Battle of Britain, and the many other victories which
followed, when it
seemed that the Hand of Providence was guiding our
destinies. He then
referred to the tasks of the future in laying the
foundations for a sound and
lasting Peace, and prayed that the Grand Masonic
Principles of Freedom and
Equality will dwell in the hearts of all men.
Within three months of that momentous event came the
glorious news of the cessation of hostilities in Asia,
and the surrender of the
last of the aggressor nations, Japan, to the victorious
Allies. What were known as
VJ-1 and VJ-2 days (Victory over Japan) were recognised
in Great Britain on
August 15th and August 16th, 1945. Thus with grateful
hearts we thank the
Great Architect of the Universe, and rejoice to find the
World once more "at
peace," before our Lodge Centenary is reached. After
the vicissitudes of the
past 100 years, we look forward to the future with hope
and confidence. and
pray that no such Chapter as this will be necessary in
our next historical record.
DAUGHTER LODGE, SIDE DEGREES, SUPPORT
TO OTHER LODGES.
Side Degrees Knights Templar Royal Arch
Mark Masons Daughter
Lodge Connaught 3800 - Other New Lodges in Huddersfield
and District Installed
HOPE PRECEPTORY (No. 4).
The earliest reference to "side degree
activity" in the premises was in 1857
when the Knights Templar were accepted as Tenants,
viz:--The Hope Preceptory,
formed in 1793, and meeting previously in Halifax. Among
the names on the Board or L
ist of this Order in the Supper Room one notices several
members of The Lodge of
Bros. J. Kirk, Reuben Williamson, Abraham Turner, W. C.
Robinson, J. T. Spratt, T. Bean, J. W. Thickett, A. H.
ROYAL ARCH CHAPTER (No. 521).
The first reference to the Royal Arch Chapter was in
1865. At the February
Meeting a Resolution was passed at the Lodge
"That a Royal Arch Chapter be attached to this
Lodge, to be
called "The Chapter of Truth, No. 521."
This Resolution was carried at the second attempt: in the
first instance it was proposed by
a Past Master who was not a Royal Arch Mason, and some of
the Brethren thought it
would be unconstitutional, so they decided to be on the
safe side by having a fresh
This being a History of 100 years of the Craft Lodge, no
attempt has been
made here to enlarge on the history and activities of The
Royal Arch Chapter attached to
the Lodge. As in many cases, the Chapter bears the same
number as the Lodge, viz.,
No. 521, and naturally one finds that many of the Members
of the Chapter have been,
and are, Members of The Lodge of Truth, hut, of course,
there are Members of the
Chapter from other Lodges in the Town. As much as the
Author would like to see
an even closer contact and continuity as between Lodges
and Chapters, and as much as
he feels that the Royal Arch Chapter is an outstandingly
important part of the life of
a complete Freemason, it is considered that the History
of The Truth Royal Arch
Chapter, No. 521, is really a matter supplementary to
this Craft Lodge History, rather
than for embodiment herein.
The first reference in the Lodge Minutes to Mark Masonry
was on the 6th
October, 1871, when it was Resolved
"That a Mark Masons Lodge be at The Lodge of Truth
and that four
Meetings be held during the year."
There is a Board in the Supper Room with the names as
from 1871, and
among them can be seen Members of 521 Craft Lodge, viz:
Bros. T. S. Higgins, Allen Jackson, J. W. Turner, J. F.
Dyson, J. L.
Sykes, J. Pyrah.
ROSE CROIX CHAPTER (Prince of Wales No. 69).
It is not clear exactly when the Rose Croix first
Tenancy, but it was probable at or soon after its
formation in 1876: the first
reference in The Lodge of Truth Minutes and Records is in
June, 1878, when
there was a Minute "revising the Rent."
The Lodge of Truth was concerned directly or indirectly
formation of many of the Lodges subsequently formed in
Huddersfield and District.
HOLME VALLEY LODGE No. 652.
The first of these was The Holme Valley Lodge, which was
No. 937, and now known as No. 652, and which was
consecrated in 1855.
As was the case with The Lodge of Truth, we find
prominent Brethren of
The Lodge of Harmony and The Huddersfield Lodge among the
some of whom were, by this time, also Members of The
Lodge of Truth. In
fact, W. Bro. William Kiiner, formerly of The Lodge of
Harmony, and the
first Worshipful Master of The Lodge of Truth, was one of
the Holme Valley
Lodge Founders. So also was W. Bro. Wm. Smith, of
and of The Lodge of Truthwhose name is frequently
mentioned in this History
as an Instructor. Others of the Founders were W. Bro.
(Harmony), who became Deputy Provincial Grand
Master and W. Bro. James
Peace (Harmony), who was for a period an Honorary Member
of The Lodge of
These Brethren united to support other Masons living in
Valley Area, such as Bro. Cookson Spencer Floyd,
Solicitor, Bro. Joseph
Mellor, Manufacturer, and Bro. John Burton, Schoolmaster,
to start a Lodge in
THORNHILL LODGE, No. 151-4.
In 1874 another Lodge was founded in the Town
No. 1514a Lodge which, from its inception, was very
closely identified with
The Lodge of Truth, especially in their activities at the
although the Thornhill Lodge is generally regarded as
being a "daughter Lodge"
of The Huddersfield Lodge, No. 290.
Before the actual formation, several enthusiastic
of Huddersfield Lodge mainly, and also Members of The
Lodge of Truth, had
been meeting together in private houses for Masonic
Monday evening. The Thornhill Lodge has records of the
Meetings, and out of
this association of the Brethren sprung the desire for a
Lodge of their own, and
the Warrant was granted in August, 1874, on the petition
of the following
B. Hutchinson, P.M. Huddersfield Lodge, No. 290.
Allen Haigh Huddersfield Lodge, No. 290.
John Sykes Lodge of Probity, No. 61.
C. H. Walker Lodge of Probity, No. 61.
Jabez Brook Lodge of Harmony, No. 275.
Thomas Shaw Huddersfield Lodge, No. 290.
Ellis Netherwood Lodge of Truth, No. 521.
Rev. R. C. Wilford Lodge of Probity, No. 61.
George Horsfall Lodge of Truth, No. 521.
Crosland Hirst Huddersfield Lodge, No. 290.
G. F. Tinker Huddersfield Lodge, No. 290.
It will be observed that there were two Brethren of The
Truth among the Founders. The Bro. G. F. Tinker, although
christian names as well as surname, was not the same Bro.
G. F. Tinker who
was a Member of The Lodge of Truth,
At The Lodge of Truth on 5th June, 1874, thirty of the
present signed a petition supporting the application for
this new Lodge.
The formation of this Lodge commenced another close
association and friendship in the Town. The Thornhill
Lodge got off to "'a
flying start," as by the 1st September, 1876, we
find recorded in The Lodge
of Truth Minutes that
"The seven sections of the first lecture were worked
by the Brethren
of The Thornhill Lodge."
which is "good going" for a new Lodge.
It was a common occurrence about that time for
expositions of ritual
to be given by Members of other Lodges in interchanges of
visits : the Lodges
of Harmony, Huddersfield and later Thornhill did this
frequently at The
Lodge of Truth.
In Chapter VIII the reader will observe that several of
the Brethren of
Thornhill Lodge were Members of The Lodge of Truth
and the members of the Classes of the respective Lodges
reciprocatory visits to one another's Class.
COLNE VALLEY LODGE, No, 1615.
On the 2nd June, 1876, a recommendation is recorded of a
signed by the Brethren, to Grand Lodge to grant a Warrant
for the founding
of a Masonic Lodge at Slaithwaite. The Warrant of
Constitution for this
Lodge was dated :3rd October, 1876, the Founder members
for which were
from the Lodges of Peace, Candour and Huddersfield.
ALBERT EDWARD LODGE, No. 1783.
The next Lodge to be formed in the Town was The Albert
Lodge, founded on the 8th October, 1878. Though not
"a daughter Lodge" of
The Lodge of Truth, Members of The Lodge of Truth played
part in the preliminary proceedings leading up to the
references have already been made to the united Masonic
actions by the
Lodges Harmony, Huddersfield and Truth. This is yet
another example, and
these three together were responsible for the setting up
of The Albert Edward
Lodge. A meeting was held at Fitzwilliam Street on the
1st May, 1878,
W. Bros. Allen Jackson, George Marshall, J. W. Turner,
Varley; Bros. John Lunn, Jimmy Firth, H. Burley, J.
E. Cooper (all of The Lodge of Truth, No. 521,
Bro. William Dawson, of Huddersfield Lodge, No. 290, and
Bro. T. Sellers, of The Lodge of Truth, No. 1458
These Brethren decided to convene a Meeting of the
Members of all the Lodges
in Huddersfield, which was duly held on 27th May, 1878,
and, after suggesting
the names of "Fitzwilliam" and
"Unity," the name "Albert Edward" was
decided upon, doubtless due to the fact that the recently
installed Grand Master
was H.R.H. Albert Edward, Prince of Wales. The next move
is gathered from a
Minute in The Lodge of Truth Minute Book, in June, 1878,
when the Lodge
offered its premises "to the proposed new Lodge
Albert Edward," and at the
July, 1878, Lodge Meeting it is noted that
"The Petition for the new Albert Edward Lodge was
The Founders included nine Members of The Lodge of Truth,
three Members of
Huddersfield Lodge, one Member of The Lodge of Harmony,
member of Colne Valley Lodge, as follows :-
W. Bro. T. Ruddoch Harmony (No. 275)
Allen Jackson Truth (No. 521)
George Syk es Huddersfield (No. 290)
George Marshall Truth (No. 521)
J . W . Tu r n er Truth (No. 521)
Bro. William Fitton Huddersfield (No. 290)
Geo. Gardiner Truth (No. 521)
G. H. O Donkersley Colne Valley (No. 1645)
J. Lunn Truth (No. 521)
Jimmy Firth Truth (No. 521)
B. S. Stewart Truth (No. 521)
Henry Shaw Truth (No. 521)
H. Burley Truth (No. 521)
William Dawson Huddersfield (No. 290)
W. Bro. T. Ruddock (of No. 273) was the first Worshipful
Installed by W. Bro. W. G. Dyson, a Past Master of The
Lodge of Truth,
two Lodge of Truth Members, viz., W. Bros. A. Jackson and
becoming the first Wardens, and another Lodge of Truth
Member, W. Bro.
Geo. Marshall, the first Treasurer.
The Albert Edward Lodge was a Tenant Lodge at the
Street Premises for many years (except for a break, 1881
to 1883, when it met
at The Queen Hotel), until it removed to its own premises
at Greenhead Road in
BEAUMONT LODGE, NO. 2035.
The above Lodge was founded at Kirkburton, on the
Huddersfield, on 15th February, 1881. The Lodge of Truth
gave their support in
obtaining the sanction of Grand Lodge, as per resolution
passed on 4th January,
.A cordial invitation was extended to the Lodge of Truth
Members to attend the laying of the corner stone of their
Masonic Hall at
Kirkburton, which took place on Saturday, 8th September,
It would appear that one of the methods of raising money
Building Fund by Beaumont Lodge was to hold a Bazaar in
the Fitzwilliam Street
premises, as the Minutes of 6th November, 1891, disclose
the payment of a
cheque to the Lodge of Truth for £5 5s., "being £3
3s. for Rent of Masonic
Rooms for Bazaar recently held," and an addition of
£2 2s. to The Lodge of
Truth Funds, for the generous manner in which the
Beaumont Lodge had been
The Author wonders whether the Brethren of Beaumont Lodge
of a very interesting link with The Lodge of Truth. The
(Pentalpha) which adorns the ceiling of their Lodge Room
at Kirkburton was
originally in the Masonic room of The Lodge of Truth at
The Rose and
Crown Inn in Huddersfield (1851 to 1855): when the Rose
and Crown Inn was
demolished as part of the street improvement scheme the
Pentalpha referred to
was saved from the demolition, and was eventually
transferred to Beaumont
Lodge for use in their premises.
During the Second World War, 1939-1945, the Beaumont
has been holding its meetings at Fitzwilliam Street,
owing to its own premises
at Kirkburton being requisitioned and used by the
DAUGHTER LODGE CONNAUGHT LODGE,No.3800.
This being a Daughter Lodge of The Lodge of Truth a
fuller account of
its formation is given below.
By the courtesy extended to the Author by the Connaught
allowing him to make extracts from their first Lodge
Committee Minute Book
it is possible to include n this History a precis of the
proceedings leading up to
the formation of The Connaught Lodge, No. 3800, which was
the 28th September, 1917, and which held its first
Regular Lodge Meeting on
the 26th October, 1917.
In the early part of 1917 the idea of forming a new Lodge
was in the
minds of several Brethren, and a deputation consisting of
W. Bro. C. F. Arnold,
P.P.G.D.C., Bro. G. F. Tinker and Bro. Geo. B. Hallas,
all Members of The
Lodge of Truth, No. 321, waited on their Worshipful
Master, Bro. R. Perkins,
with proposals to forward a Petition for a new Lodge, and
Worshipful Master to bring the matter before the Lodge.
Master summoned a Meeting of his Lodge Committee,
attended by the
Worshipful Master, nine Past Masters, two Wardens and
decided in a unanimous resolution to support the proposal
: the Lodge Committee
received a deputation of five of the Promotors :-
W . B r o . J . E . S y k e s T h o r n h i l l ( N o . 1
5 1 4 )
B r o . A . S . C o c k r o f t A r m i t a g e ( N o . 2
2 6 1 )
Bro. G. F. Tinker, G. B. Hallas and A. E. Hill, all of
to hear their views. A Meeting of the Promotors followed
on 30th May, 1917,
to sign the Founders' Petition, which was presented to
The Lodge of Truth in
open Lodge on Friday, 1st June, 1917, and, on a unanimous
Resolution of the
Brethren present, proposed by the Worshipful Master, Bro.
R. Perkins, and
seconded by W. Bro. Allen Jackson, the Petition was
signed on behalf of The
Lodge of Truth by the Worshipful Master and Wardens.
The following is a List of the FOUNDERS :-
Sir William Pick Raynor, P.G.D. (Eng.), Deputy Provincial
Grand Master (No. 290) (and No.
William Henry Jessop, P.P.G.W. (Mayor of Huddersfield)
P.M. of (No. 521)
Charles Frederick Arnold, P.P.G.D.C. P.M. of (No. 521)
John William Mallinson, P.P.G.D.C. P.M. of (No. 521)
George Frederick Tinker, S.D. of (No. 521)
George Boothroyd Hallas, J.D. of (No. 521)
Gladstone Battye, Organist of (No.
John William Shaw, I.G. of (No. 521)
Herbert Hadfield Hill, M.M. of (No. 521)
Albert Ernest Hill M.M. of (No. 521)
William Percival Peace, M.M. of (No. 521)
John. Edward Sykes, P.M. of (No. 1514)
Ernest Henry Holly Wade, P.M. of (No. 1514)
John Hallas, J.W. of (No. 1 783)
Peter Hastings, S.D. of (No. 1783)
Arthur Sam Cockroft, S.D. of (No. 2261)
A series of ten Founders' Meetings took place in the
months of May to
September, 1917, at which the preliminary essential
matters were settled,
amongst which were the following :-
W.M. W. Bro. C. F. Arnold (No. 521)
I.P.M. W. Bro. J. E. Sykes (No. 1514)
S.W. Bro. G. B. Hallas (No. 521)
J.W. Bro. A. S. Cockroft (No. 2261)
Chaplain W. Bro. Sir William P. Raynor, D.P.G.IVI.
Deputy Chaplain W. Bro. J. W. Mallinson 521)
Supt. of Works W. Bro. W. H. Jessop (No. 521)
Treasurer Bro. John Hallas (No. 1783)
Charity Steward W. Bro. E. H. H. Wade (No. 1514)
D.C. Bro. Peter Hastings (No. 1783)
Secretary Bro. J. W. Shaw (No. 521)
Organist Bro. Gladstone Battye (No. 521)
Registrar Bro. G. F. Tinker (No. 521)
S.D. Bro. Oliver Dyson (No. 521), not a founder
J.D. Bro. H. H. Hill (No. 521)
I.G. Bro. A. E. Hill (No. 521)
Tyler Bro. W. P. Peace (No. 521)
NAME OF LODGE.
"A long discussion took place with regard to the
name of the Lodge,
several names being suggested and ultimately it was
decided to name the
Lodge 'THE CONNAUGHT LODGE." (4.6.17)
Lodge Meeting on fourth Friday and Instruction Class on
The Freemasons' Hall, Fitzwilliam Street, Huddersfield,
Agreement agreed with The Lodge of Truth Trustees.
RITUAL AND WORKING.
Standard Working adopted (10.7.17) as prepared by Sub-
Committee comprising Bros. Arnold, Wade, Hallas, Cockroft
and copy be kept in the safe for reference.
The Brethren frequenting the Premises cannot fail to have
handsome Past Masters' Boards and framed Lists of all the
Tenant Lodges. In
The Lodge of Truth Minutes of 4th October, 1918, there is
mention of a
request by R. W. Bro. Sir William P. Raynor for the
Worshipful Master and
Brethren of The Lodge of Truth to sanction the placing in
the Supper Room of
a Past Masters' Board which he had recently presented to
although strictly speaking this would be a Trustees'
matter rather than a Lodge
of Truth matter, the Minutes say that the sanction was
It is interesting to put on record that the following
Lodge of Truth
Members, who were among the Founders of Connaught Lodge,
Masters of The Connaught Lodge :-
Bro. C. F. Arnold 1917 (W.M. of No. 521 in 1900)
G.B. Hallas 1918 and 1926
J. W. Shaw 1920 (W.M. of No. 521 in 1932)
H.H Hill 1922
A. E. Hill 1923
W. P. Peace 1924
so that W. Bro. C. F. Arnold and W. Bro. J. W. Shaw were
Master of their Mother Lodge and the Daughter Lodge.
There were other Lodges formed besides those referred to
which are not mentioned in detail, as there was no
particular connection with
The Lodge of Truth, viz.:
Armitage, No. 2261, Milnsbridge (daughter Lodge of
Thornhill, No. 1514
Brooke, No. 3608, Honley, founded 1912.
Unity, No. 3930, Huddersfield (daughter Lodge of
Huddersfield, No. 290),
(Bro. J. A. Woolven (No. 521) was one of the Founders of
Cambodunum, No. 3953, Huddersfield (daughter Lodge of
1514), founded 1919.
Salarden, No. 3971, Milnsbridge (daughter Lodge of
Armitage Lodge, No.
2261), founded 1919.
and, lastly, The Concord Lodge, No. 4126, which was
consecrated on 15th
September, 1920, all the twenty Founders being from
Albert Edward Lodge,
No. 1783, and as The Albert Edward Lodge was at that time
a Tenant Lodge in
the Truth Premises, The Concord Lodge also became one of
Lodges, and has continued so up to the present time.
HUDDERSFIELD AND DISTRICT INSTALLED MASTERS' ASSOCIATION.
The Author is the Secretary of the above Association,
eighteen Lodges in the Town and District (of which The
Lodge of Truth is one),
and feels that the History of a Lodge in Huddersfield
would not be complete
without some reference to the part it has played in
connection with the work of
such an Association, especially as one of the Members of
this Lodge, W. Bro.
T. Bean, was one of the "Founders," an initial
Vice-President, and one of the
The Association was formed in 1920 at the request of the
Grand Master, R. W. Bro. Sir William P. Raynor, Kt.,
P.G.D., and W. Bro. T.
Bean (No. 521), along with W. Bro. F. C. Watkinon (of No.
290 and No. 3930)
and W. Bro. C Wheawill (No. 1514), were asked to
co-operate to form the
At an informal Meeting at The Queen Hotel, Huddersfield,
6th November, 1920, eleven prominent Freemasons in the
Town met to formulate
the Scheme, including :-
W. Bro. T. Bean, of The Lodge of Truth, No. 521,
W. Bro. G. B. Hallas, of The Lodge of Truth, No. 521, and
Lodge, No. 3800,
and the Association was formed at a well-attended and
representative Meeting at
South Parade on the 11th December, 1920.
W. Bro. Bean was one of a Committee of five formed to
draft the Rules.
The objects of the Association were defined as follows :-
To provide a means for a joint discussion by the
Installed Masters of
matters of interest to the Craft, and for presenting the
results of their
deliberations to the Lodges.
To provide machinery for convening the Members of the
and District Lodges for the consideration of important
subjects, and in
cases of emergency, to agree upon combined action, and
same to the Freemasons of the Town and District.
To attract and interest Brethren by means of Papers and
upon the History, Antiquities and Symbols of the Craft.
The Meetings are held half yearly, often in The Lodge of
Premises, Fitzwilliam Street, and sometimes at The
Masonic Hall, Greenhead
The administration is in the hands of an Executive
Committee, comprising the
President (who holds office for one year), three Vice-
Presidents leading up to the
Presidency, Treasurer and Secretary, and one
Representative from each of the
eighteen Lodges, and the Past Presidents.
The following chart shows the details of the
representation on the
Committee, Presidents, etc., of the Truth Members :-
W. Bro. T. Bean Vice-President 1921-1922, President 1923.
W. Bro. J. Mosley Representative 1921-1922.
W. Bro. C. F. Arnold Representative 1921 Vice-President
(also representing Connaught 3800) 1925President
W. Bro. G. B. Hallas Representative
(also representing Connaught 3800) 1929 President 1930.
W. Bro. J. L. Sykes Representative 1926-1928.
W. Bro. J. T. Spratt do. 1928-1930.
W. Bro. W. Brook do. 1930-1934died 31 Jan. 1934.
W. Bro. G. F. Tinker do. 1934-1936died 18
W. Bro. G. Graham do. 1936-1939died 6 Mar., 1939.
W. Bro. J. S. Ward do. 1939 to 1945.
and to the above list should be added the name of W. Bro.
Hinchliff, who--though now a Member of The Wharncliffe
Lodge, No. 1162
was formerly a Member of The Lodge of Truth. He was
Initiated into The
Lodge of Truth in 1904, so now has over 40 years' Masonic
membership to his
credit, and in the year 1943, at the age of 83, he was a
genial and popular
President of the Association.
The Lodge of Truth has taken its part, along with the
other Lodges in
the Association, in several United Lodges held under the
auspices of the
Association, of which the following are brief details : -
15th November, 1926. United Lodge in the Town Hall to
Provincial Grand Master, R.W. Bro. The Viscount
At the reception preceding the Meeting, W. Bro.
Tom Bean was one of the presenting Officers, and
W. Bro. C. F. Arnold was one of the speakers at the
Lodge supporting the address of welcome.
30th October, 1934. United Lodge at Fitzwilliam Street.
Board worked, Bro. H. Goulden of The Lodge
of Truth being one of the responders.
12th February, 1935. United Lodge at Greenhead Road. 2
worked. Bro. John Sugden of No. 521 was one of
those taking part, and W. Bro. G. F. Tinker acted
20th March, 1935. United Instruction Class at Greenhead
W. Bro. Tinker again acting as D.C. and Bro. G.
Gledhill (W.M. in 1944-45) did part of the work.
26t h M a y, 1936. U ni t ed Lod ge at Upp erm i l l (C
andou r, N o.
Tracing Board worked, and Bro. H.
Goulden was one of the responders.
HUDDERSFIELD FREEMASONS AS MAYORS OF HUDDERSFIELD.
Having found, in the course of preparing the History of
the Lodge, that
several Members of The Lodge of Truth had held the high
office of Mayor of the Borough, the Author has prepared a
Roll of all the
Mayors of Huddersfield since it received its Charter in
1868, collating the
information, which he has obtained from the various
Lodges in the Town and
District, concerning the Masonic connection of those
Mayors of the Borough
who have been Members of the Craft. The Roll is included
herein as a fitting
close to this Chapter concerning the Lodges in general as
well as The Lodge of
Truth in particular.
ROLL OF MAYORS OF HUDDERSFIELD.
The real traditions and history of the Lodge are not so
the special items, which have been enumerated and
elaborated in the
foregoing Chapters of this History, but more in the
Minutes, in the ordinary recurring records of 100
Brother So-and-So was Installed into the chair of King
according to ancient custom, the 534 Initiations, the
1068 entries of Bro.
A.B. answering the Test Questions and being Passed, and
Those whether speciall y mentioned in the preceding pages
the Brethren who have made the history of the Lodge. The
leaves of the
Declaration Books can be turned over, like turning over
the pages of a
family photograph album,. and there one can see portrayed
great men, men it was a pride and a pleasure to know, men
of civic deeds
and high reputation, and it can be summed up in the words
of that wellknown
"The lives of great men all remind us We
can make our lives sublime And,
departing, leave behind us Footprints on
the sands of time."
Their lesson to us is that we, like they, must live
respected so that
we may die regretted: we, like they, at our Initiation,
from "darkness to light": we, like they, can
see in our Freemasonry a Great
Light, especially in this world of to-day, emerging from
the darkness of
war; we can see the Lodge as a "Great Light" in
the Masonic World, a
blazing torch for us to carry forward through the days
and years to come :
and as the Master's "light" is never
extinguished, so may the torch of The
Lodge of Truth be carried high, as a radiant symbol for
generation to generation.